I had fun working on my niece Lauren’s birthday cake today. I’ll show you the completed cake on Sunday — I can’t give it all away and spoil the birthday girl’s surprise.
I created a fondant jewelry box for a topper so I thought I’d share how I did it.
- A Rolling pin
- Icing sugar or cornstarch
- 2 heart-shaped cookie cutters; 3″ and 4″.
- Pizza wheel cutter
- Sharp knife
Fondant jewelry box how-to: Start with the base
1. Dust your workspace with icing sugar or cornstarch. Roll fondant to about 1/8″ thick.
2. Cut a heart using the 3″ cookie cutter. There’s your fondant jewelry box base. Set it aside.
Do the sides and lid
3. Dust your workspace as needed to prevent sticking. Roll fondant to about 1/4″ thick.
4. Using a ruler and pizza wheel, cut a strip that’s about 12″ long and 1 to 1-1/2″ in width.
Tip: If your fondant’s too soft or too thin, the strip will flop, bulge or fall flat. Add powdered sugar to your fondant if it needs a firmer consistency and roll it to at least 1/4″ thick so a strip can stand on its edge without falling over.
5. Cut another heart using the 4″ cookie cutter. That’s your jewelry box lid.
Assemble the jewelry box
6. Lay the jewelry box base on a piece of parchment paper. Lightly moisten the heart’s edge with water.
7. Gently fold the fondant strip in half and pinch it at the center to form a crease at the top of the heart. Place the pinched edge at the top of the heart and wrap the strip around the sides, bringing ends together at the bottom tip. Use your knife to trim the ends and then moisten and press to join them.
8. Gently hold the heart shape in place for a minute or so while the water dries. If needed, use the 3″ cookie cutter as a form to help reshape the heart while the fondant’s soft.
Assemble the jewelry box lid
9. Roll a thin tube of fondant on the counter, spaghetti-style. Using a damp brush or your finger, moisten a heart-shaped line about 1/4 from the edge of the lid. Press your tube-shaped piece on to the lid and trim to fit. Position and pinch as needed to form a heart-shaped rim for the lid.
10. Attach pretty decorations to decorate the lid if desired. Fill the box with fondant or candy jewelry and you’re done.
What do you think?